In Episode 3 of Life Skills 4 Kids, Lisa Hughes, Founder, Director and one of the Senior Clinicians of Occupation Therapy Helping Children joins me today as we chat about afternoon routines with kids, especially those that are in or just starting school, the anxieties they experience and how to help them get through overwhelm.
Lisa has an extensive 30-year career in children’s occupational therapy both in the USA and Australia. She believes that every child should have access to the very best help and support they need. Her philosophy, to help each child holistically and individually, also extends to her practice.
In this episode we cover:
- Children getting through school but falling apart when they get home
- Causes of anxiety for children in school
- Signs that children are overwhelmed when they come home
- Strategies for making afternoons at home easier for children
- Tips on managing expectations for parents
- Homeworks, after-school and weekend rest routines that can be established for the family
- Occupational Therapy Helping Children Website
- Deb’s Book: Teaching Kids to Manage Anxiety: Superstar Practical Strategies