In Episode 21 of the Life Skills 4 Kids Podcast, we have an engaging chat with Dr. Andrew Pennington of the Sanctuary Lifestyle Clinic on anxiety and mental health issues in children. We will be hearing a medical practitioner’s point of view on kids’ anxiety including statistics and causes. He will also be sharing very interesting information on how nutrition can both affect and help anxiety in children and his top tips on how to help anxious children.
In this episode we cover:
- The frequency of families and children who visit his clinic for anxiety.
- Common age of starting and increasing anxiety for children today.
- Statistics on the growing number of children and parents with anxiety disorders.
- Looking at the 2 causes of anxiety: genetic and environmental factors.
- The Sanctuary Lifestyle Clinic and its unique features versus traditional general practitioners.
- Working with children who are anxious about food and have restricted diets; and the deficits linked to that kind of difficulty.
- Nutrients that are important and beneficial for anxiety.
- Meaning of the “NEW START” Acronym.
- The importance of trust for the development of children’s brains.
- Easy and actionable tips for parents to start helping their anxious child.